Assignments by Spine: (50 points)
Literature and Historical Analysis (30 points)
Read the book and complete the historical analysis paper, linked above.
Great Documents in US History (30 points)
Great Documents in US History
Discuss the comprehension, critical thinking. making connections, relating the past to our lives and essay questions orally. Write answers to the comprehension questions.
Chinese Exclusion Act
The Dawes Act
Films and Historical Analysis
The films and books below have been selected based on written reviews and recommendations and represent a variety of reading levels and rigor. This list provides no guarantee that any given title is appropriate a given student, school or setting. Parents and teachers are responsible for evaluating and approving the selection of any book or film for each particular student.
Opposing Viewpoints (10 points for each 1 hour discussion)
Possible Essential Questions (gathered from across the web)
Has Industrialization produced more benefits or more problems for the nation? LINK
Was Reconstruction as Success or failure? LINK
How did urban politics affect immigrant life?
How does geography influence the development of cultures and economic activity?
Should the United States be a "melting pot" or "salad bowl"?
What is the American Dream?
What is the role of labor unions in the United States?
To what extent is Modern America a product of this time period?
Projects (25 points)
Create a project that demonstrates your mastery of at least 3 of the "I CAN" statements.
25 Projects Synthesize your Learning
The ideas linked in the document below have been gathered from all over the web and from a variety of teachers. Thanks to all!
I CAN Statements
1. I can explain 2 successes and 2 failures of Reconstruction.
2. I can list 2 conditions placed on the southern states for readmission to the Union.
3. I can identify specific government actions that encouraged citizens and business to move westward.
4. I can explain how westward expansion increased America’s economic independence.
5. I can list push-pull factors related to New Immigration.
6. I can compare and contrast the role that Captains of Industry and the Robber Barons played in facilitating industrial expansion.
7. I can describe the inter-relationship between immigration and urban growth.