Assignments by Spine: (50 points)
Literature and Historical Analysis (30 points)
Read the book and complete the historical analysis paper, linked above.
Films and Historical Analysis
The films and books below have been selected based on written reviews and recommendations and represent a variety of reading levels and rigor. This list provides no guarantee that any given title is appropriate a given student, school or setting. Parents and teachers are responsible for evaluating and approving the selection of any book or film for each particular student.
Opposing Viewpoints (10 points for each 1 hour discussion)
Possible Essential Questions
Projects (25 points)
Create a project that demonstrates your mastery of at least 3 of the "I CAN" statements.
25 Projects Synthesize your Learning
The ideas linked in the document below have been gathered from all over the web and from a variety of teachers. Thanks to all!
I CAN Statements
1. I can explain why the United States and Soviet Union are considered superpowers in the post-WWII world.
2. I can describe how decisions and compromises made at the end of WWII would impact policy in Eastern Europe.
3. I can identify reasons for the formation of the United Nations and provisions that made it different from the League of Nations
4. I can explain how post war Alliances such as NATO and the Warsaw Pact led to new tensions.
5. I can describe and explain the importance of the Marshal Plan and the Truman Doctrine.
6. I can explain the impact returning soldiers had on the economy, including changes in living patterns, such as suburbs
7. I can explain the fear spread through the red scare, and how McCarthyism affected lives of targeted individuals
8. I can list 4 characteristics of a totalitarian state.
9. I can describe how Americans’ lives in the 1950s reflected traditional values.
10. I can list and discuss 3 factors that led to economic prosperity in the 1950s.
11. I can explain how the fear of Communism affected citizens in the 1950s.
12. I can explain the impact returning soldiers had on the economy, including changes in living patterns, such as suburbs
13. I can explain the fear spread through the red scare, and how McCarthyism affected lives of targeted individuals
14. I can describe how that tension translated to the development of rival space programs
15. I can explain the concept of containment and identify examples within US policy
16. I can identify the reason US troops got involved in the Korean Conflict